Autumn is coming and we’ve just start collecting all kinds of nuts. In my country there are many walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds, so if the weather has been good, we´ll enjoy these big seeds and their marvellous properties.
The recipe that we present today can be made with any type of nut. I’ve done it with walnuts because it´s the most common seed in my little town. The gelatin taken from nuts is a dessert, similar to yogurt, the difference is that it isn´t fermented.
First of all you must make a flavour-full nut milk with these
- 1 litre of water
- 150 grams of walnuts (or other local nuts)
- 50 grams of organic cocoa (a fair trade one)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon (powder or stick)
- 2 tablespoons of honey or agave syrup.
- 1 strip of orange peel (optional)
You can see how to make the milk in this Chufamix video-link ( If you don’t have the Chufamix, you can blend all of the ingredients and strain them using a cheesecloth).
Once you have blended and before filtering the milk we propose that you let it marinate for 15 minutes to strengthen the flavour of the milk.
When you finish making the milk, keep it in the fridge for at least 8 hours (all the milks are much better the next day). If you don’t have time, you can go on to the next step.
Making the gelatin with agar agar.
- Agar agar is a type of seaweed which can be used as a natural thickener because it contains lot of mucilages, so it´s very useful to make gelatin. Let´s see how:
- Put the nut milk into a saucepan and add a tablespoon of agar agar. Leave it marinating for 10 minutes.
- Simmer the milk until it boils, mixing with a wooden spoon.
- When it boils, lower the heat to the minimal position and continue simmering for 5 minutes, mixing with the wooden spoon until the agar agar completely dissolves.
- Then pour the mixture into the desired recipients: little recycled glass jars (to use like a individual yogurt, photo 1) or to a cake try (to present it as a pudding, photo 2).
- In any case, when they’ve cooled down put on the lid and keep them in the fridge.
- We suggest serving it with an apple compote, quince jelly or marmalade with a little bit of walnuts pulp topped with cinnamon.
- It expires in about 5 days.
It´s a super nutritional dessert for fall !!