Coconut milk is a basic ingredient in lots of traditional recipes in Thai cooking. It´s gluten free and lactose free and so tasty, so it´s an interesting vegan milk option.
Up until now, our series of Thai recipes has included savoury dishes; red curry, Tom Yum soup…, so today we’ve decided to include a sweet dish.
“Gruad katí” is a soup made with coconut milk and little pieces of banana, which, since it is very filling can be taken as a breakfast, dessert or main dish.
Our dear contributer, Jan Swakon (Sunset Restaurant, Koh Lanta), shows us how to make it in this video.
– ½ litre homemade coconut milk
– 2 bananas
– 2 teaspoons of syrup
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put the coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Add the salt and the syrup and mix well.
- Heat the coconut milk over medium heat and add the pieces of banana. Cut the banana into more or less 1 cm slices (If you cut them very thin, they can break up with the heat).
- Stir the mixture for about 3 minutes while it is cooking. If you cook it for longer than this the banana can get too soft.
- Try some to see if it needs more salt or syrup.
- Turn off the heat and serve in dessert bowls.
- This dish can be eaten warm or hot.
Tips and alternatives
– If you don’t have bananas or prefer to add another fruit there is no problem. It is very nice with pieces of peach or with both fruits.
– If you find it too sweet, just add less syrup (1 spoonful).
Easy, quick and super-nutritious.
See you soon!