Eating oranges or drinking their juice is an excellent source of vitamins in winter and spring time. And, if we buy organic oranges, we can also use their skin to make sweet dishes or to flavour our homemade vegan milk.
But what happens if we add “enzymatic water” or “Rejuvelac” to our traditional orange juice?
This idea was suggested to us by an English blogger (kitchenculture) in the article which we wrote on using enzymatic water, also known as Rejuvelac, as a vegetable fermenter for making vegan yogurts and cheeses.
So, we liked the suggestion made by “kitchenculture” and we did some tests. Thanks to the probiotic properties of the enzymatic water or rejuvelac, the result is a probiotic juice, ideal for starting the day with an extra shoot of enzymes and vitamins. Here you have more info about enzymatic water or Rejuvelac pro-biotic properties.
- ½ litre of enzymatic water
- 2 oranges
- a tablespoon of cane sugar
- a few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- Put the enzymatic water in the Vegan Milker by Chufamix container.
- Peel the oranges as if you were going to eat them (also removing as much of the white second skin as possible because it makes the juice bitter). Put the oranges in the filter glass.
- Put the filter into the container and mix, without pushing the mixer down too hard, until the oranges are completely chopped (1 minute approx.).
- Remove the filter and squeeze through the last drops of orange juice using the mortar (or without it).
- If you’re not sure about the flavour, add a few more drops of lemon and/or a little bit of ginger.
- The juice will last for 5 days in the fridge. Do not have more than one glass in a day.
Tips and alternatives
Enzymatic water is very healthy due to its probiotic effect, but it doesn’t taste very nice. If you mix it with fruit or infusions, it tastes much better and is more appetising.
We have also tried it with grapes (for ½ litre of enzymatic water we fill the filter with grapes), but we like it better with oranges.
We’re still experimenting!!
Thanks to everyone for your contributions which inspire us and make healthy, homemade cooking an exciting world full of surprises, flavours and multi-coloured textures!