Homemade soy milk it’s a very popular dairy free option but it has a very particular flavor of pulses and herbs, which some people may not find pleasant.
In Vegan Milker we like to eat healthily but well, and for this reason we are pleased to share this delicious soy milk recipe with you. It was sent to us by our Norwegian friend, Hilde (from Transforma).
We would like to thank all of you who, like Hilde, have begun to create recipes with your Vegan Milker and are sharing them with us.
It’s such a pleasure!
- 1 litre of water
- 70 grammes of white soy (soaked* for 8 hours)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa (preferably Fairtrade )
- 2 tablespoons of organic cane sugar
- orange zest
- a little chilli (optional)
*The soy is soaked in water all night (the next day the water is thrown away).
- Put 1 litre of water in the container, fit the filter glass and add the soy.
- Mix for 1 or 2 minutes with a hand blender.
- Filter the mix with the help of the mortar to obtain the raw soy milk.
- If you are not on a raw vegetable diet, this milk should be boiled in a pan for at least between 6 and 15 minutes to make it more digestive and creamy.
- While it is simmering add the flavorings and stir to mix well.
- Let it cool and keep it in the fridge.
Here is the video-tutorial about how to make homemade soy milk with chufamix.
Tips and alternatives
- To make the recipe easier and to avoid cooking (step 4), you can use the same amount of pre-cooked or textured soy (100 grammes). If you choose this option, put the litre of natural water in the container and 100 grammes of textured soy in the filter glass together with the desired flavorings. Let it soak for 10 minutes, mix and filter. In this case there is no need to cook the milk and the preparation is quicker, but for my liking, the resulting soy milk is “lighter”, more liquid and bland.
- Since fresh or natural soy milk made from white grains has a very herbaceous flavor (this is a common characteristic of pulse-based vegetable milks), Hilde’s suggestion is ideal for making it more tasty. The cocoa can be replaced by carob, the sugar by syrup, the orange by vanilla or cinnamon… the idea is to improve the flavor, so that it is not only nutritious but is delicious too.
- Soy milk is one of the vegan milks which keeps best, around 8 days in the fridge.
- Do not use transgenic soy and, if possible, buy organic soy. For more information about its properties and its commodification, click on this link.