Vegan smoothies are a great healthy and energised way to start the day. These energy shakes are very easy to prepare, as they are basically made by blending some fruit with a little plant-based milk, which takes less than 5 minutes of your time.
The vegan energy smoothie ideas and recipes we share in this article are open-ended proposals that can be easily adjusted to the seasonal and local fruit, and to the plant-based milk, you have on hand at any given moment.
In fact, we have added a table of energy foods suitable for making vegan smoothies, so that you can play with the different possible combinations based on your tastes.
Healthy properties of energy shake
Energy shakes are an exceptional alternative to ultra-processed food and help to increase fruit and nut consumption in the diet in a fun and easy way.
The combination of plant-based ingredients found in vegan energy shakes provides interesting nutrients such as dietary fibre, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals and protein.
Among the energy foods suitable for making smoothies, the following stand out:
- Nuts: thanks to their high fibre content, they provide long-lasting energy. Almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts (peanuts, cashews or cashew nuts) stand out for their energy-giving properties.
- Fresh fruit: in addition to antioxidant vitamins and fibre, fruit contains sugars that provide immediate energy. Avocado, banana, grape, fig, mango and custard apple stand out as energy sources.
- Dried fruit: Contains less water than fresh fruit and a higher concentration of nutrients. The high carbohydrate content makes them high-calorie foods to be consumed in moderation.
- Wholegrain cereals: These are the foods that offer the most immediate energy due to their high content of simple carbohydrates. They can be consumed daily.
- Dark chocolate: Provides a lot of energy, but it should be consumed in moderation as it can cause over-excitement due to its stimulant and euphoric effects.
- Dates: Dates that have been dried in the sun and not by artificial drying processes have a high energy value thanks to the amount of carbohydrates they contain.
When is the best time to drink a vegan smoothie?
The best time to drink a vegan smoothie can be at any time, but it is advisable to drink energy shakes before doing an important physical or mental activity; going to school, playing sports, or doing any work that requires considerable energy consumption.
Easy vegan energy smoothie recipes:
We love trying different combinations of foods to make our morning smoothie. We share with you three recipes that we really like.
However, there are many possibilities, as you can always substitute the type of plant milk or vary the fruit, or even add spices such as cinnamon, ginger, or any other food that we like to include in our favourite smoothie. The goal is to make a ‘wowwww’ of pleasure when we drink it!
1- Strawberry-banana smoothie with rice milk:
200 ml rice milk (or other plant milk), 6 strawberries and 1/2 banana.
2- Mango milkshake with cashew milk:
200 ml cashew milk (or other plant milk), 1/2 ripe mango.
3- Oat milkshake with dark chocolate and dates:
200 ml oat milk (or other plant milk), 1 oz dark chocolate (10 mg), 2 pitted dates.
How to prepare the energy shakes:
- Prepare the plant milk that we are going to use as the base for the shake. You can find the recipe for the energy plant milk linked in the headings: Almond milk, rice milk, cashew milk, oat milk, pistachio milk and hemp milk.
- Place all the ingredients in a glass or jug and blend them directly with a hand blender. The result will be a smoothie with a lot of body and, in the case of some fruits, with bits of seeds.
- If you want a liquid smoothie that does not contain any fruit seeds, you can blend the fruit using the Vegan Milker filter. Please note that the filter can be used to grind all fruits except banana and avocado, which can clog the filter due to their consistency.
- The smoothie should be drunk immediately after preparation in order to make the best use of the vitamins in the fruit. If you reserve it for later, keep it in an airtight jar in the fridge.
Which one are you going to start energising your back to school?